Let’s go back to our workforce review of the 2022 vintage Marantz home cinema amplifier range. After the Marantz Cinema 70s, the slim specimen of the manufacturer’s range, and the 7.2 Marantz Cinema 60 DAB model, the spotlight on the Marantz Cinema 50, a 9.4 specimen.
As with the Marantz Cinema 70s and Cinema 60 DAB, the most notable change in the Marantz Cinema 50 (the replacement for the Marantz SR6015) concerns the excellent new design introduced to the manufacturer’s audiophile products, the player network Marantz Model 40n, the Marantz CD 60 audio CD player or the Marantz SACD 30n player. Another important novelty of this new series of equipment, the name Cinema present within the product references. This should be seen as the desire of the Californian firm Masimo, the new owner of Sound United (Bowers & Wilkins, Definitive Technology, Denon, Marantz, Polk Audio) since February, to position the Marantz brand in the premium Home Cinema market, in addition to the HiFi one.
Marantz Cinema 50, main innovations
The Marantz Cinema 50 is therefore the worthy successor to the Marantz SR6015. Of course, it benefits of course from all the specifications of the latter, but in addition to its new aesthetics, it also has some notable new features, above all an OSD, 1080p color (and not 480p). There is now a lot of information available on the screen, in particular about the nature of the input and output signals with, for example, the actually active channels. We also note the presence of six HDMI 2.1 inputs (against just one on the SR6015). Similarly, the Dirac Live calibration process is planned via an upcoming firmware update and it is now possible to connect up to four subwoofers via as many independent outputs. Finally, Auro 3D decoding responds.
Marantz Cinema 50, main specifications
We still notice a preamp mode on all channels with a Pre-Out 11.4 output, management of HDR10, HDR10+, HDR HLG and HDR10 technologies), Dolby Vision also offers dynamic metadata (static in HDR10) depending on the images displayed, by Representation more precise in low lights and high lights. Important, to enjoy Dolby Vision content, every link in the graphics chain must support Dolby Vision, from calibration to display.”>Dolby Vision HDR, 8K UHD Upscaling up to 60Hz, and the ability to apply image processing available audio to a Dolby signal, for example, enabling DTS Virtual:X on a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal.
Returning to the HDMI 2.1 inputs/outputs, they support all the features of the standard: VRR, ALLM, eARC, QMS, QFT, Ultra HD 4K 120 fps up to Ultra HD 8K 60 Hz Upscaling (see our HDMI 2.1 standard news, official, technical and ergonomic additions welcome).
Marantz Cinema 50, the continuation of the main specifications
Otherwise, like the SR6015, the Marantz Cinema 50 still has nine channels of amplification, HDAM preamp stages (Current Feedback type circuit) specially developed by the late Ken Ichiwata, a former brand ambassador, audio processing compatibility Dolby Atmos 3D, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization (to simulate height speakers in the absence of these), DTS:X and DTS Virtual:X (to simulate height speakers in the absence of these). Still at the hardware level, there is the display of signal or volume information superimposed on an Ultra HD/4K stream. Precision, the Marantz Cinema 50 is Roon Tested certified.
In addition to the availability of the Bluetooth TX function to transmit the audio signal to suitable headphones in addition to the speakers. It is therefore possible to enjoy your music on speakers in the living room, but also in the kitchen or bedroom via wireless headphones.
Marantz Cinema 50, Heos multiroom function and connectivity
For the rest, we find in this 9.4 model the functions Works with Hey Google, Works with Alexa and the Siri assistant. The same goes for the multiroom functionality of Heos. So this amp can easily be transformed into a link in a larger audio chain with real Heos HS2 speakers, to add sound to a home.
Marantz Cinema DAB 50, bulk specifications…
We also highlight compatibility with Bluetooth and dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz), the Spotify Connect function as well as access to Tidal and Deezer streaming services.
Otherwise, like the SR6015, the Marantz Cinema 50 is a Class A/B model rated at 9 x 150 W RMS (into 6 ohms)/9 x 110 W RMS (into 8 ohms). There is a UPnP (DLNA) audio/photo gateway function associated with access to TuneIn web radios, AirPlay 2 certification, a front USB Host port and the ability to control the Marantz Cinema 50 with an Android/iOS smartphone/tablet , after downloading a dedicated app called Marantz AVR App for free. We still note the Gapless feature and support for MP3, WMA, AAC, Flac, Alac and Wav (up to 192kHz/24bit). Similarly, management of DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz formats and 4-ohm speakers is included. The same goes for the third HDMI output (which allows you to enjoy a different source than the one assigned to the main room in another room) and support for Imax Enhanced.
Also present, an automatic system calibration by the Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 microphone. Not to mention Audyssey Dynamic Volume, Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Audyssey LFC processing, 192kHz/24-bit converters and a Source Direct mode. More MDAX2 processing to improve playback of compressed music.
Marantz Cinema DAB 50, larigot connectors
The connection therefore has six certified HDMI 2.1 CEC inputs, plus three transparent outputs to Deep Color, xvYCC, 1080p/24 and 3D, Ultra HD or 4K signals. There are also five stereo RCAs, one Phono, two coaxial, two optical, one Pre-Out 2.0 (zone 2) output, the aforementioned Pre-Out 11.4 output, and four subwoofer outputs. Plus eleven pairs of screw terminals and a USB Host port (front) and another Ethernet.
Availability, in black or silver finish, in November. Indicative price: 1,999 euros.
Reminder of the key features of the Marantz Cinema fifty:
• Model: 9.4
• Power: 9 x 150 W down to 6 ohms, 9 x 110 W down to 8 ohms
• THD (Total Harmonic Distortion): 0.08%
• Inputs: 6 HDMI 2.1 CEC, 5 stereo RCA (including one on the front), 1 Phono, 2 coaxial, 2 optical, 1 USB Host port (on the front), and 1 Ethernet port
• Outputs: 3 HDMI outputs (eARC function), 1 zone 2 stereo RCA, 1 Pre‑Out 11.4, 1 RS‑232, 11 pairs of screw terminal blocks
• OSD functions
• UPnP (DLNA) audio gateway functions
• ALLM functions
• VRR functions
• QFT functions
• QMS functions
• Spotify connection features
• Compatibility with Flac HD
• 2.8/5.6 MHz DSD support
• WAV support
• Compatibility with Alac
• MP3 compatibility
• WMA compatibility
• AAC compatibility
• DTS:X audio
• Dolby Atmos audio height virtualizer function
• Virtual DTS: audio X
• Audio eARC function
• Dirac Live Audio Calibration
• Audyssey Dynamic Volume Audio Processing
• Audyssey Dynamic EQ audio processing
• Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 automatic audio calibration
• Audyssey LFC audio processing
• Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 audio with the addition of an external stereo amplifier
• Audio DTS:X 11.1
•Auro 3D Audio
• HDR10 video
•HDR HLG video
• HDR10 video), Dolby Vision also provides dynamic metadata (static in HDR10) based on displayed images, for more accurate representation in low or bright light. Important, to enjoy Dolby Vision content, every link in the graphics chain must support Dolby Vision, from calibration to display.”>HDR Dolby Vision
• BT.2020 video support
• Ultra HD video pass-through function
• 3D video ready
• HDR10+ video
• Ultra HD/8K (24/25/30/60) video upscaling function
• Ultra HD/4K (24/25/30/60/120) video upscaling function
• Network Control by IP
• Dual-band Wi‑Fi network (2.4/5 GHz)
• AirPlay 2 compatibility
• Bluetooth transmission network
• Heos App Network
• Multimedia works with Hey Google
• Multimedia works with Alexa
• Multimedia Amazon Multiroom Music
• Proven media room
• Hi-Res Audio Streaming via USB/Network: Yes
• Internet Radio(s): TuneIn
• Hi-Res Audio Certification
• HDCP 2.3 certification
• Other(s): integrated Heos multiroom module
• Dimensions (W x H x D, mm): 442 x 404 x 235 mm (Wi-Fi antennas unfolded)
• Consumption: 680 W (0.2 W standby)
• Weight: 12.5kg
#Marantz #Cinema #Ultra #Dirac #Live #Alexa #Google #Assistant #Siri #Heos #multiroom #Auro #Dolby #Atmos #DTS #HDR #Dolby #Vision..